Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Gothic nail art with Zoya Domiva and holographic foil stamping "Gothic Movember"

Introduction

Good day darlings. Today I again combine #clairestelle8challenge and #mcarochallenge. It was not easy to come up with Gothic Movember nail art util I noticed this skull with mustache on BM 413. In order to make this design really interesting I decided for the first time to use foil on top of the stamping and I chose matte black background for better contrast. Stamping was done with White Konad polish and right after stamping image on the nail I pressed holographic foil on top of it. The result was really mesmerizing, and hopefully you can see it on photos. In fact, I'm super happy that I tried foils. However, there is one problem about using them, I tried to apply several different top coats, but they all reduce holographic shine, so all pictures are shown without any top. Unfortunately, without top coat holo foil got scratched away after one day of wear, so I'm not sure yet how to make this beauty last long. And there is a video tutorial at the end of this post.

Results

Figure 1. Nail art "Gothic Movember".



Figure 2. More images with bottle.


Figure 3. And without.

Figure 4. Macro images of stamping.

Video tutorial.

Materials and Methods

Nail Polish:
  • Zoya - Domiva (2 coats)
  • Konad - White (stamping)
  • Bissu - Metalmania (movember)

Stamping plates and other materials:
  • Bundle Monster - BM 413 (skull) and BM 402 (mustache)
  • JQ 09 (Roses)
  • Handy - H1 (spider web)
  • Marianne nails - n61 (spider and cross)
  • Born pretty store - Holographic foil #23
References
You can buy foils from Born pretty store here.

9 comments:

  1. apparently there is such a thing as aqua based topcoat that does not wrinkle foils, and would work to prolong the wear of your designs like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Dina, this is such a useful information. i'm gonna try to find one!!!

      Delete
  2. Picture Polish Revolution is too coat that doesn't affect foils. It's really thin though. I use two coats of that and then my regular top coat over it to extend the wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh thank you, I love picture polish!!! but surprisingly do not have their tops or bases. Gonna add it to my shopping list.

      Delete
  3. Picture Polish Revolution is too coat that doesn't affect foils. It's really thin though. I use two coats of that and then my regular top coat over it to extend the wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no luck with this technique! I have the BPS foils and Konad stamping polish (white and black) nothing worked! I tried my other stamping polish and nothing sticks at all. Although my Konads are nearly a year old, I wonder if yours are a lot newer and therefore allow this to happen??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Konad polish is about as old as yours. Silly question, are you sure you apply foil with the right side down? I just ask because in the beginning I applied it holo side down and sure enough it did not stick. Also you might try to be faster and press on foil a bit harder. Let me know if it helps.

      Delete